BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, July 18, 2023

Repairing Time

A long time ago, when I lived in Minnesota, I bought a Scooby Doo clock and I loved it so much! It wasn't a middle of the house clock, but it was perfect for my bathroom and I kept it there forever.

Then it broke after I moved to Georgia and I thought it was all over. Until someone told me I can replace the clock part with a kit.

My eyes lit up!

Scooby!

I went to Michaels, bought a clock kit, brought it home, and did nothing with it. For years. Literally for years. Then on Friday evening, I decided it was time to fix it. I took out my clock and the kit and sat down at the table.

It took me a minute (and the instructions from the new clock kit) to figure out how to separate the old clock from the Scooby part, but I did it without breaking anything. Then I went to attach the new clock. 

And discovered I'd bought the wrong size. Like the post was double the length I needed.

Disappointment! I hopped on Amazon and started searching. I found the correct size, ordered it, and it arrived on Saturday. The post was the correct size, although the rubber washer had to be skipped. I nearly forgot the hook to hang the clock, but caught that in the instructions at the last minute.

Everything worked when I put in the battery.

There was just a couple of minor problems. The hands were too long and kept catching on the flowers. Reusing the old hands wasn't an option because they didn't fit the new mechanism and wouldn't lock into place.

I fixed it by using the new hands and snipping them off with a pliers.


Then there was the ticking noise the second hand made with every movement. Like that wasn't going to drive me insane in about a day and a half. This kit gave the option of no second hand, so I removed it, and used the silver stud instead. It holds the hands in place and is now completely quiet.

The picture above was taken before I removed the second hand.

Scooby is back! I'm excited!