BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Thursday, July 13, 2023

The Planner Blues

I am a daily planner person. I've tried weekly planners, but they just don't work for me at all. Not with the way my brain works. I tried for years to make a weekly work. Years. I thought there was something wrong with me. I figured if I couldn't get a weekly to work, a daily would just be more failure, yet I took to the daily as if it was the most natural thing in the world.

I found the planner that works best for me, too. Oh, the planner company frustrated me from time to time, and I tried to switch in 2022 to a different daily planner. I hated it, and moved back to old faithful in March.

Now, I might be switching planners again for 2024. Maybe.

You see, old faithful is talking about only selling undated planners. UNDATED DAILY PLANNERS FOR AN ENTIRE YEAR!

You're thinking, well, just date each page the day you use it. No biggie.

Agreed. The daily pages aren't a big deal. It's having to date each monthly spread on top of having to date each individual day. Stickers are out. I tried stickers in a quarterly planner (yes, I've tried quarterly, too) and it caused a bulge where the date went. A year of dates all in the same location? Ugh! I checked into stamps, but all the date stamps I found (the self-inking kind) are geared for businesses and have ugly fonts.

So if they go undated, I need a new planner for 2024. I have one I'm testing as a potential replacement. Overall, it's similar enough to old faithful that I should be able to adapt to it, but...

I went looking for other options. My criteria wasn't lengthy. I wanted a dated daily planner with the entire year in one book. Spiral was preferred, but case-bound is okay. I'd also prefer nice paper. Bonus points for Saturday and Sunday each having their own page.

It was remarkably difficult to find planners to even look at! Some of them I ruled out simply because I knew the layout would make me insane. I don't want to write in my own times. Grr. I want as much done for me as possible so I can just write in the personal stuff. The idea is to make this as frictionless as possible, people!

So my friends, in addition to the test planner, I have two other planners I ordered for 2024. One of them is small and I can carry it in my tote bag with me. We'll see how that works, having dual planners. The other one will be my 2024 official planner if old faithful goes undated. I'll have to spend more money to buy stamps to add the things it doesn't have, but I'm not doing the stickers again like I did in 2022.

If old faithful does put out a dated daily, that will be my official 2024 planner and I'll use the one I've already bought as a gratitude journal. I've been meaning to do that.

I hate that I'm in this position again. I haven't had to waste money testing out planners in a while, but old faithful hasn't been very faithful the past few years. I thought I could live with their vagaries. I was wrong because undated is a deal breaker for me.