BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Thursday, November 16, 2023

Remotely Annoying

I'm not sure how long ago it started, but the remote control for the main television began to only partially function. Turn the TV and the satellite box on and off? Yes. Raise and lower the volume? Yes. Change channels using the number pad? Maybe. Sort of. If it felt like it.

To say this was annoying was an understatement. I thought maybe the infrared was blocked and I shifted the box, but it made no difference. I started using the app on my phone to change channels. It was easier.

However, this was also annoying because for some stupid reason the app immediately begins to stream even though I went into settings and turned that off.

I'm not joking when I say we lived with this for years. At least two, possibly three.

Oh, I meant to do something about it, but not enough to actually take action.

Then I finally had enough. I was thinking to just buy some kind of universal remote, but when I went to Amazon to look, I found remotes that looked exactly like the one from my provider. Hmm, I thought, I wonder what they're charging for them?

The answer was less than the third party sellers on Amazon. I ordered one. There was a charge--you'd think they'd replace their equipment for free--but at this point, I was ready to have it work.

It was delivered on Friday with batteries. I hoped it would be easy to setup and it was. Five minutes from opening the package, I had a functional remote. And the only reason it took that long is I kept hitting the select button instead of the enter button like the instructions said. I blame the videos on YouTube that I watched. Either they showed it wrong or I remembered it wrong. Either is possible. :-)

Now I'm kind of kicking myself for letting it linger as an issue for so long.