BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, December 05, 2023

Lie to Me

My characters can and have lied to me.

Usually, they simply go with lies of omission. They won't tell me something major about themselves. I'll be writing happily away, and the boom! They drop a truth bomb on me. This means I need to go back and edit the previous pages of the story to foreshadow what's coming.

Case, my latest hero, just plain lied to me.

I wasn't writing his book when he fabricated things that were completely untrue about his past, so maybe I can't blame him? I wasn't completely plugged into him because I was focused on a different hero. If it had been his book, maybe I would have sensed he wasn't being honest with me.

Maybe, but maybe not. Maybe he would have lied anyway and maybe I wouldn't have realized it.

What did he lie about?

His family. He led me to believe he had a relatively normal upbringing in a single parent household. He led me to believe he had siblings. Neither is true.

Case is an only child and his upbringing wasn't uneventful. He was dealing with some major issues.

His upbringing shaped him in a lot of ways and he had this reinforced by an unfortunate romantic entanglement. If you've been reading the series, you might remember that Lurch brought Hannah to a team dinner, and that later, she dumped him. This turns out to be true, but with circumstances.

And Nyx, Case's heroine, is going to inadvertently step right in the middle of his issues even though her motivations are good.

Let the fun begin!