BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, December 19, 2023

Zoinks!

If you follow me on Facebook, I shared some of this story there a couple of weeks ago. This, however, is the full sequence of events.

I signed up for the postal service's Informed Delivery, so I can see what's coming in the mail the night before. Not only letters, but packages as well. The problem is that the information on the packages is rarely helpful. Instead of a person or business's name, it'll often have something like Acutane or PirateShip which are companies that do shipping (like Stamps.com).

And one day, as I'm checking packages, I see something like: eBay Pitney Bowes. Hmm, I didn't order anything from eBay. I wonder if they got into shipping?

There was a stretch where I backed a bunch of Kickstarter projects and a lot of them are shipping right now, so I thought it might be one of those. While I was curious, there was no way to get more information and it would arrive in a few days. I'd find out what it was then.

Finally, the package arrived!

It was light. So light, the wind blew it into the yard. Luckily, it wasn't in the street. I brought it in the house, looked at the label, but I didn't recognize the person's name in the from field. It must be a Kickstarter, I thought.

I open the package. It's not one of my Kickstarter rewards.

It's a Scooby Doo Christmas ornament. I look at the label on the box again. Maybe this package was mis-delivered. Nope, that's my name and address.

I pull up all my credit cards and look for weird charges. Nothing.

I remember reading about some weird scam thing when you get packages out of the blue, but I can't remember the particulars, but then I think: Scooby Doo. I love Scooby Doo. That's really a specific thing to send to me.

Maybe there's a card in the box. I take out all the newspaper that cushioned the ornament, looking for a tag of some sort. Even an invoice with a message. Nothing.

I started Googling the person who sent it and I searched for her on eBay because of the post office saying eBay Pitney Bowes. I pulled up every matching Scooby Doo ornament on the site, but I didn't find anyone from her state selling them.

Some more searching turned up the sender's FB page, but I didn't feel comfortable messaging her out of the blue. So I posted the mystery on my Facebook page and then I shared my mystery with my friends.

And that's when one of them said, hey, it was me. I sent it.

She wanted to cheer me up, which was so sweet! She also gave me a mystery I couldn't solve, but that was okay. It kept me occupied for about an hour.