BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, February 06, 2024

It Stuck

It's kind of funny some of the things that stick with us. Or maybe I should say the things that stick with me.

I noticed it when I realized I still stand in the doorway between the house and garage and wait until I hear the garage door close. And stay closed.

Why? Because when I lived in Minnesota, sometimes the wind would blow snow up against (and under) the garage door. Over time, it would build up, and when the garage door hit that ridge, it would go back up again because it thought there was an obstruction. I'd have to grab a shovel and clear the snow.

You guessed it. There were times when it went back up again and I didn't know it until much later. It became a habit even in summer to wait until the door was down and stayed down. And although I've lived in Atlanta since 2012, I still stand and wait for that door to go down and stay down.

I've decided I'll just keep doing it. It's only a few extra seconds and it's not a bad habit.

Another habit that I've hung on to came from the pandemic. I wash my hands for twenty seconds. It feels like forever, but I always wait for my Apple Watch to ping, letting me know the time is up. I figure this is a good habit since all kinds of viruses get transmitted by touching something and then touching the face.

I'm sure there are more, but those are the two that come immediately to mind. Funny how it all works.