BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, March 26, 2024

Blast From the Past

Recently, I remembered a book I'd read back in the 1990s and I wanted to reread it. It has one of my yums--identical siblings who change places. I'm not even sure what made me think of this book, but it's memory was distinct in my mind.

I have a paperback copy of it, but I prefer to read on my phone now, so I went looking for an ebook version. I didn't hold out much hope since so many of these older books never were released in electronic format even if the authors have their rights back.

This time, I got lucky. Kind of.

The book was released in ebook. The price? $8.99, but on sale for $6.99. This is a short, contemporary romance released by Loveswept in the 1990s. We're not talking 100,000 words here. Probably more like 45,000 to 50,000 because word counts used to be higher back then.

There was zero chance I was paying $6.99 for a series romance, let alone one I already owned in paperback.

I grabbed my paperback copy and started to read. I made it about a third of the way before I gave up. This book is dated. I'm not talking technology, I'm talking attitudes and actions of the characters. The hero, who I remembered as a sweet cinnamon roll kind of guy was pretty much an asshole. The heroine was judgy and mean spirited toward her sister. I didn't remember that at all.

It was brutally disappointing.