BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, April 09, 2024

Olden Days, Current Day

 

At work the other day, I had a conversation with one of the guys about the old days--as in internet dial up, being knocked offline if someone picked up the phone, being yelled at to get offline so someone else can use the phone, etc.

It seems like a million years ago now.

Even after getting broadband, I toted my laptop around and usually had it on and nearby while I was watching television or whatever. That way, if I wanted to hop online real quick, it was handy.

Now, everything I used to do on my laptop (or almost everything) can be done on my phone. I shut my laptop down early because I can do everything on my phone. It's awesome!

What's really good about it is if I need to check something really quick, I don't have to remember what that something is the next time I'm near a computer.

Of course, this convenience has a downside, too. If I'm lying in bed, trying to sleep, and I think of something I need to research for the book I'm writing, I can grab the phone and look it up right then. And I've done this a few too many times.

Right now, I'm writing this post on my laptop while I have a baseball game playing on my phone. Twenty years ago, I couldn't have imagined this and now look.