BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, May 28, 2024

The Instagram Algorithm

Instagram is at it again!

A couple of weeks ago, I blogged about the furniture restoration reels they keep showing me. It was tempting, but I knew that would be too much hard work and that there was a steep learning curve.

This week, they started showing me card making reels, paper quilling, and (gulp) scrapbook journals. ::sobs::

The paper quilling is incredible! But I also know this not only requires a high skill level, it also requires a level of patience that I don't possess, so while I'm enjoying watching the woman do her paper quilling, the temptation to do it myself is low.

The card making was a little harder to resist. It just looked like so much fun! I was contemplating giving this a try and then I saw the scrapbook journaling. OMG! Here's a link to the journal artist that Instagram hooked me with.

I have all kinds of stuff from a previous attempt at scrapbooking. Papers, scissors, punches, chipboard, paper cutters, and assorted other tools/supplies. I never got great at it, and I gave it up after I scrapbooked all my Ravyn's Flight reviews and news and awards and stuff. I kind of meant to get back to scrapbooking some day, but since Ravyn came out in 2002 and I haven't done any scrapbooking since then, well the handwriting was on the wall.

And then I saw the Instagram reels for scrapbook journaling.

I know this one is going to have another learning curve since my scrapbook pages were...interesting. I know I don't have all the supplies I'd need even if I have a lot of them. I'm tempted anyway.

Not only do I have a ton of supplies, I also have a ton of spiral bound junk journals. I bought them to do my book notes, thinking this would work and give me enough pages to last a while, but when I tried to use one of them, it quickly became obvious that they wouldn't work for this purpose. I'd been hanging on to them, wondering what I could use them for. Instagram provided the answer.

I haven't done anything yet. I haven't attempted a page in the journal, I haven't bought anything to work with. I've been busy writing Case and Nyx. And I'll blog about that on Thursday.