BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, June 11, 2024

Goodbye Landline?

I have a landline at my house. I got it because my dad was living with me and I needed something he could use to talk to his friends or call for help. He also used hearing aids, and he had a phone that transcribed the conversation for him.

My dad passed away last October, but I still have the landline even though all I get on it are spam calls--mostly people wanting to buy my house for less than market value.

But I can't quite get myself to get rid of that landline and I'm not sure why.

Part of it is that I used to give out that number as a contact number in order to keep my cell phone number private. I'm honestly not sure who has this number. I have updated the obvious places to my cell phone--the bank, the credit card companies, etc.

Another part of why I still have it is for two-factor authentication on some of my dad's accounts. I'm executor of his will and I needed to be able to get on some of his medical accounts to check on bills/payments. But it's been a few months now since any bills for him have arrived and the one account I've had to access said they'd lock it out six months after his death. It's past six months.

A third part? They make you call to cancel the landline. It can't be done online and I hate making telephone calls.

But I need to suck it up and do it. There's no point spending money to be annoyed by robocalls. Now I just need to psyche myself up to call.