BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Thursday, June 20, 2024

Group Mailboxes, Grrr

My subdivision has multiple phases. When I first moved in, I lived in phase 1 and had a personal mailbox at the end of my driveway. The problem was my driveway was extremely steep, and when my dad moved in with me, I was scared about him walking up and down it.

We moved to a level lot in phase 2 of the subdivision. I don't know if it's a Georgia law like someone told me or not, but this is where we got a group mailbox AKA a cluster box.

There are no words for how much I hate this.

Now unless the box is huge, none of my packages that go USPS are delivered to my house. I HATE THIS SO HARD. If I had a personal box at the end of the driveway, they'd have to leave the packages on the porch.

I don't know who thought this cluster box crap was a good idea, but it's bad enough that I signed up for a paid UPS service to have all Smart Post mail delivered by them instead of USPS. When I shop online, I will weigh how much I really want/need the item versus the chances it will be sent via the post office. Sometimes I guess wrong and end up having to trek up to the boxes, but retailers who use USPS are now losing my business because I don't want to deal with having to go up to the boxes.

That's how much I hate this group box BS.

Amazon delivery drivers are literally in my neighborhood every single day. I see the truck drive past and stop at neighbors' houses. Why the hell are they using USPS?

I am supposed to have two books delivered today and I regret buying them because they were sent USPS instead of via Amazon's own delivery. And I guarantee you that the truck will stop within a house or two of mine. They could have brought my books.

Since I rarely get any mail that isn't junk, I don't go up there often, but the packages force a trip. But I've reached a point where if it's something I don't need right away, I let it sit up there until I feel like going up to the boxes.

I wonder what they would do if someone was physically unable to go to the boxes? Would they get their own box at the end of their driveway?

There is one pro to these boxes (and I alluded to it earlier). Because everything is locked, I can let the crap sit for weeks if I want. Otherwise these boxes suck. Big time.