BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Thursday, August 08, 2024

Change the Menu

I hate cooking. HATE! I have burned more food to the bottom of pans than I can count, and I finally bought a rice cooker because I always seem to adhere my riced to the pot and have to let it soak to get it out.

After my mom died and my dad moved in with me, he took over the cooking. He actually enjoyed it! But after he passed away, I had to figure something out.

I started with store-bought frozen dinners, but those were not that great and I got tired of them.

After researching meal delivery services, I signed up for one. The meals were pre-made and just needed to be popped in the microwave, but they tasted better than frozen dinners.

This was fine. For a while. Now, a couple of months in, I'm so sick of everything on their menu that I can't even pick anything any longer. Why don't they change that thing up every few weeks? The other problem? The way the sealed the meals in plastic made it damn near impossible to open. About 30% of the time, the cover comes off easily. About 50% of the time, I could pry it off with some effort. The remaining 20%? I would use a pair of needle nose pliers to get that plastic off. Ridiculous.

(I also had shipping issues with them, but their customer service is top notch and took care of it. But OMG, the same food every single week.)

Anyway, I decided to try a different meal delivery service when I saw a discount coupon in my Instagram feed. This was one of the companies I'd looked at before choosing the other one and had been a top contender. There's supposed to be a rotating menu so you get something different every week.

The drawback? This one actually requires me to do some cooking. Not much and everything is like pre-portioned and ready to go, but still actually cooking? We'll see how I do with this.

This same company does have a pre-made meal service, too, so I might switch over to that depending on how the cooking part goes.

There are more customization options with this company, too, which might be good. I'm sticking with the simple options to start out.