BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, August 13, 2024

Patti O'Shea's Very Bad Day

I have been using the same laptop since 2016. That's right, eight and a half years. I used to either kill my laptops with all the typing I did or they'd start running so slowly, I had to replace them or lose my mind.

But this laptop? It was still running at a fast enough speed that I didn't see any reason to buy a new one yet. Plus, I customize everything and it's all setup the way I like it.

You can imagine my horror when I walked back in my office after doing something else for about an hour and finding a big blue screen. This is not the Big Blue Screen of Death. This was a different blue screen. A more ominous blue screen.

I pulled up a search engine and immediately looked up the error message. The first thing mentioned?

Hard drive problem.

There were other possibilities, too, but it mentioned something about the computer running hot. Which is a problem I'd been dealing with and I kept putting the laptop to sleep to let it cool down.

I ran through the troubleshooting process the computer had, but the drive had died.

Unrecoverable died.

I'm unhappy, but not devastated. I subscribe to a service that automatically backs up everything on my computer plus I pay for a cloud service to save nearly all my files on my hard drive and online. I'm confident that I have everything and did not lose any data.

The part where I'm less happy? I wasn't planning on buying a new laptop right now. I opted for the same brand that lasted 8.5 years, but I bought a smaller screen size since I usually leave it plugged into the docking station in my office. I also got a convertible laptop. I'm not sure I'll use the tablet function or not, but I like having the option.

I will talk about the laptop once I receive it and get it setup.

Usually, I have a backup laptop on hand, but because the one that died was so old, the previous laptops are antique and basically unusable. Luckily for me, I have a MacBook Pro that I use for some writing applications that do not run on Windows. I did have to spend a few hours setting everything up, but I'm up and running and able to do what I need to do at a laptop, including write Oz and Ayla.

The MacBook plugs into my docking station, so I'm able to use my big monitors and the big bonus is I can write really long text messages to my friends because I have a keyboard. I hate doing a lot of typing on my phone. Even doing the keyboard finger drag thing is annoying.

There's a slight delay typing on the keyboard and I'm assuming it's a docking station issue because I'm using a dongle to connect to it. My MacBook doesn't have a USB A port and my docking station doesn't have a USB C cord.

More to come.