BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Thursday, September 12, 2024

Living in Laptop Hell

Current state: Computer hell

Windows 11 and I are having serious issues with each other. That's a major problem.

I finally figured out what that thing dropping down from the top of the screen was and found out how to turn it off, so one problem is solved, but six million others remain.

I am also sick of signing in to my computer. I turned off passwords on my dead Windows 10 laptop, but I have yet to get them turned off on this new Windows 11 computer despite finding multiple instructions online. Since it never leaves my house, this is more of a nuisance than a real security feature. I can't even put it to sleep and have it just open. Oh, no. Login required. Constantly. I'm so annoyed.

I remain fed up with my backup service. I come up for renewal with them this month and will not be signing in for more of their BS. I need to find a new service, and I have one in mind.

And then there's my hard drive space.

I bought a computer with 1 TB of hard drive. This is double what my old computer had. There should be no problem getting my old files on my new hard drive. Except that I keep running out of room and I can't figure out why.

The first time, it was because the backup service loaded files I already had on the computer, but once I deleted all of those, I should be fine. But I'm not fine. Dropbox wasn't storing almost anything on my hard drive, which meant Windows 11 would throw error messages when I tried to access them. I couldn't even view pictures I'd uploaded from my phone.

I clicked the files I wanted on my hard drive and didn't expect to have any issues. Except that I did. My hard drive was running out of space. Again. And I can't figure out why.

It's very frustrating. If I'd known I'd be dealing with this constantly, I would have ordered 2 TB of storage. I'm trying to offload graphics files to my external drive, but Windows 11 doesn't want to do that and I'm dealing with error messages, or better yet, empty file folders. Grrr. I'm not a fan of Windows 11. I did have a chance to order Windows 10 Pro, but support is ending for 10 and I wanted security patching.

I still have software to load, but I have the main pieces on the computer and usable. I don't feel like fighting with more pieces, so I might wait on the rest until Windows 11 and I reach detente.

And until I can figure out where all my storage space went.