BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Thursday, September 19, 2024

Reading Journal: Continued

When I concluded Tuesday's post, I divulged my disappointment with some of my mistakes. I tend toward perfectionism, so I wasn't excited about making errors, but since there was nothing I could do about it, I forged onward.

I decided I wanted an index in my journal in case I wanted to reference one of the books I read. I used the same lettering as I used for the book title and for the Steampunk graphic in this post. I wanted to lay it down in the middle of the page, but I didn't get it far enough into the crease and I fear it's going to continue to wear until it breaks down the center. Again, there's nothing I can do about it.


I'll come back to this page later. There was more work to do here, but I moved on for this evening because I didn't have all my supplies yet.

I also added four pages of what is known in the book journaling community as a "book shelfie." I bought this at an Etsy shop, too, and printed it out. I fudged around with the sizing on it to get it to fit my notebook. Each page of book shelfie holds 100 books. I estimated over 300 books in my nonfiction To Be Read (TBR) pile, and so I made four pages. I know I'm missing some paper books when I made my list, so I expect to grow to close to 400 before I'm finished.

Another disappointment is that the steampunk stickers I added on either side of the book shelfies are crooked, but again, I was forced to ignore it.

When my supplies arrived a couple days later, I returned to the index. I used pencil to rough in where I wanted to layout the index and then went over it with a pen. 


I used a Tombow marker to highlight every other line. As you can see, I had a little problem drawing a straight line. That's very disappointing, but as with the stickers, there was nothing I could do about it.


I wanted to keep track of page number, book title, and author. I decided the rating wasn't something I needed in the index.

The white space on either side of index cried out for some kind of image, and I had just received some steampunk stickers. I found two small ones and used them on either side.

From here, I'll go straight into my book review pages. I haven't started those yet, although I did rough in where I want my book covers to go. Now, I need to find the time to copy all the book covers I need to fill a full page of sticker papers. I'll probably cut them by hand rather than use my sticker maker machine.

I'm also waiting for a stamp set I ordered. It's got a stamp for book reviews and a star rating stamp. I'm sure I'll make more mistakes, but there will be nothing I can do about those either.

Still, despite all the mistakes I made, I had fun doing this and I'm ridiculously proud of what I made.