BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Thursday, October 17, 2024

Decor Disasters

Sorry for the planner talk two posts in a row. It's October, which is close enough to 2025 for it to be planner season and I'm excited.

I'm sharing more from my 2024 planner although I'm going to embarrass myself because my work is clearly amateurish. I'm learning and I hope to improve as I do this a few more times.

Because I enjoy vellum images, I decided to add some to the blank pages in my soon-to-be-expired planner. I tried pasting them down, taping in tip-ins on the inner edge, the outer edge, and the bottom edge, and it was a mixed bag.

Some of it kind of turned out okay. Most of it didn't end up looking very good at all. And I have more vellum to try out as I desperately try to fill up pages.

The crazy thing is that a lot of people who use this planner create daily pages on these blank pages (368 of them, perfect for a year's worth) and I never thought of it. Argh!

Next year, I will use the blank pages to journal one page a day and won't have this problem.

I started with a tip-in. For those unfamiliar, that means the page is only attached on one side and it opens out to show the page below. I fastened this one to the spine side. And somehow, I cut the vellum too short for the book. I had it laid right over the page while I cut with the scissors, so I don't know how it happened, but otherwise it pasted in well and works as expected. I'm giving myself a B+.


The vellum on these two pages is pasted down on the left, and a tip-in on the right. This one is pasted down at the bottom edge.

This one? Well, the left page has very little room left to write and it's narrow at the top before widening out. The tip-in on the right is a mess. I ended up just folding the vellum at the tape line in order to write. This one is probably a D.


I had a small piece of vellum left over from this design and I just pasted it down on the top of the next page. Nothing special. Grade is a C.


New day, new design for the vellum. The picture above this paragraph is the tip-in from the front view. The picture below is with the tip-in paged over to expose the notebook page below.


On the plus side, this page was cut much closer to the right size than the previous version. The negative? I taped it down too far onto the writing page and it pulls it, which I don't like. I did better the first time I tried this. C-.


There was a little problem with the glue here. I tried to rub it off, but as you can see on the left-hand side, I wasn't successful at getting it off. I also managed to crinkle the pages, and I didn't get the vellum on the right-hand side glued down correctly. I ended up taking a scissors to trim off the excess. F. Maybe an F-.


The final two pictures are the same page. This is a tip-in I fastened to the outer edge of the page. This also got into epic fail territory. I managed to crinkle the page badly, the tape isn't folded over the page well, pulling on the other side, and it's horrible. Another F-


I'm hoping I get better at this because I really do enjoy the idea, and the vellum looks so cool when it's done even halfway correctly. 

I have eight more pages of vellum design printed. If I can't figure it out in that number, I might have to give it up.