BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, September 08, 2026

Another Aspirational Idea

picture of a book journal

Last week, I mentioned aspirational hobbies and I forgot to mention my book journal.

The image to the left is from 2025. This is the journal I ended up throwing away because it was such a disaster.

2026 was going to be different, though! I wasn't going to make the same mistakes this year that I made in 2025. And I didn't.

Instead? I just didn't ever work on the book journal.

Print out book covers of the books I read and cut them out with my sticker cutting machine? I can do that later.

Write up my thoughts about the book? Briefly because I was doing very limited space for each book in the journal. I knew I wasn't going to want to write much. Yeah, that can wait, too.

And as more and more things kept going into the it-can-wait column, it became absolutely daunting to even think about doing any of it. So I haven't. I literally haven't touched the journal since January.

Instead, I have a list of the books I've read in my regular planner. On a full page sticker that gives me room to list the books, authors, format I read it in, and star rating. This is what I've been doing. I did it in 2025, too.

I've conceded. No book journal for 2027 unless I feel compelled and then I'll just stick it in the 2026 journal that I abandoned. But the book list in my planner? That's perfect. That works for me. That's so much easier and I'm all about easy because there are other things I'd rather focus on.