BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Thursday, September 03, 2026

Hobbies

cartoon woman saying "Argh"
One of the challenges I face with ADHD is jumping into new hobbies full tilt. Before I know whether or not it's worth buying all the things necessary for said hobby.

Sometimes I get lucky, like with knitting and it's a hobby I continue with. That means investing in all the knitting needles and cords and stitch markers, etc was worth it because I'm using them regularly.

Then there are the hobbies that are less successful.

An example here is that I bought a machine that cuts stickers and vinyl. I can make my own stickers for my planner! This will be awesome! This will save me money!

Yeah. So I kind of make stickers when I feel like it, but it's not often because my laser printer flakes off ink when the sticker sheets first come off the printer, and if I don't grab them off fast enough, I have patches that look like someone did a bad job with an eraser.

I have an all-in-one inkjet that used to belong to my dad, but it doesn't produce a high quality image, and because I rarely use it, the ink is frequently dried out and it gets expensive to keep putting in new cartridges.

Also, it's just so much easier to order stickers. They look better, they're cut better because my cut lines end up too wide, and they're usually on thinner sticker paper so they don't bulk up my planners.

This is midway between success and failure because I sometimes still do it, just not often.

Then there are the aspirational hobbies. Like sewing.

I like to think I'd sew more if I could get the craft room organized with enough space to leave the machine out all the time. And maybe I would because I am so picky about my T-shirts. (SOOOOOO PICKY!)

But this is an aspirational hobby more than something I actually do.

On the plus side? My mom gave me one of her sewing machines when I moved to Atlanta, so I didn't have to buy one. I do, however, have a stash of fabric and I bought pins and sewing machine needles and other little things. I did resist buying the specialty sewing machines.

Barely.