I'm very open about the fact I was diagnosed with ADHD in 2024. Before that, I just assumed I was a failure at adulting and struggled along.
After getting diagnosed, I learned that the things I struggled with are things many people with inattentive ADHD struggle with. It was a relief and it allowed me to grant myself grace.
However, that doesn't mean I don't have projects around the house that need to get done and I can't get started on. It's frustrating.
Then I heard about the microburst method. Ten minutes. You do the project for ten minutes a day and then you're done. No continuing on. You just stop when your time is finished.
I was a little skeptical, but I'd used the Pomodoro method with my writing while I was trying to build it into a habit. Once something is a habit? I'm set. If Pomodoro worked, microbursts might be worth a try. But I wanted my test to be on something small, something that wouldn't disrupt my entire house if it failed.
I decided to tackle organizing my planner stickers.
I have a lot of them. I have a lot of storage books where I shoved them in wherever they fit. I literally can't find anything without taking every book out and looking through it because there are no categories, no system, just everything shoved in willy nilly.
Step one: Take everything out of the books and sort into broad categories like functional, deco, boxes, bujo, scripts, icons, etc.
To my great surprise, the microbursts worked beautifully for the first, broad sort. I have everything split up, and as I was doing this, smaller categories came to me like fitness, writing, days of the week, etc.
And then I had to throw everything back on my craft cart because a service person was coming to my house and I didn't want him to see piles of stickers all over my dining room table.
That added friction to sorting Step Two and friction means I'm stalling on the project.
On the plus side, it's not all sitting on my table. On the minus side? My craft cart has stacks all over it and my empty sticker storage is stacked on a dining room chair. This is not optimal.
I probably need another microburst to setup for sort #2 rather than rolling it into the actual sorting itself.
I'll probably write an update if this works. Right now? I'm a little worried.
