BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, September 15, 2026

Switcheroo

cartoon woman with question marks

I've been dealing with an annoyance for years. Both my Wii gaming box and the box for my TV plug into the same ports. That means if I want to switch to Wii, I have to unplug the cable box. If I want to watch TV, I have to unplug the Wii.

It got to the point where I just didn't bother using whichever one wasn't plugged in for long stretches.

Research led me to a device switcher, and I bought one, but I couldn't figure out how to hook it up correctly and my Wii video didn't work right. I gave up and returned to plugging and unplugging.

Sometimes.

The annoyance didn't go away, though, and since several years had passed, I thought maybe there was a new solution. There wasn't.

Device switcher.

This is where someone who doesn't have ADHD would pull out the old switcher they already bought and search for better instructions. Unfortunately, I have no idea where the switcher is and it would take me forever to locate it again, so I bought another one. It's the ADHD tax.

This device switcher, though, was much easier than the first one I bought. Maybe because it was made to be simpler? I also bought a new set of cords to go from the switcher to the TV and this one clearly labeled the two red cords "audio" and "video" so I knew which one went where.

Once I had everything, I hooked it up, fixed the settings on my Wii like the instructions I found online said, and my color was still off on the gaming system.

Yes, I mixed up the audio and video red cords for Wii.

I tried my best, but I can't tell the difference between them and this cord already in use is not labeled like the new cord. Once I fixed my mistake, everything worked beautifully!

There are no words for how much I love this. I press a button and I have Wii. I press another button and I have TV. The fact that I'm this excited? It says a lot about how annoying the situation was previously. I still marvel every time I hit a button and it's been a week now.