If you read Tuesday's post, I talked about having a sobering look at how my ADHD brain is different from a neurotypical person's brain. And that while I wasn't depressed, it was disheartening.
This post is part two.
Sunday I was writing. Not fast, I'm a slow writer because I think too much while I write. I basically put the ADHD thing out of my brain, but I wasn't chipper or excited about how finding out just how different I am. That planner video was an eye-opener for me, and it made me do a re-evaluation of myself.
I was working on a side project. This was something I started when I wasn't able to write and just needed something to get the words flowing again. It ended up being more than that for me. I wrote one sentence for my heroine in her Point Of View and magic happened.
In less than fifteen seconds, I had the complete setup for a trilogy where the book I was writing was book 1. I tied all three books together and gave them a series title. I had the heroes and heroines of the other books. I had the basics of how they meet and what the issues were.
In less than fifteen seconds.
If I had to describe it, it was like a pinball machine where the ball keeps hitting bumpers, illuminating them until the entire machine is lit up.
I was excited! I had three heroes, three heroines, I had secondary characters, I had how the three books connected together, I had a series name, I had a series logo. I had the books connected. I had nothing but the first book when I started writing it. It wasn't even supposed to be a book when I began, it was supposed to be a novella.
Apparently one of the good things about ADHD is being able to make connections very quickly. I did. It was like the pinball going ping, ping, ping and boom. Trilogy.
I don't know how it works for neurotypical writers. Maybe they have this happen to them, too. I have no way of knowing since I've never had a different brain.
But if what I read was correct, and if I was able to put an entire three-book series together in less than fifteen seconds because of ADHD, well, I'll keep my brain, thank you very much. The struggles I deal with on a daily basis, the ones that make a daily planner mandatory, not optional, are worth it for the magic I experienced that Sunday. I was flying, and after that initial burst, more and more ideas kept flowing.
Yes, I do have to use a "garbage eve" sticker every week to remember to put out the trash, but I also had magic happen. Worth it.
