BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, October 06, 2026

Adventures With Rice

Cartoon woman captioned "Adventure"

To say I hate cooking is to understate it. Loathe doesn't quite touch the exact amount I hate to cook.

Of course, I have to do it whether I like it or not.

One of my biggest challenges is rice. Even using a timer, I have charred rice to the bottom of the pot. It reached the point where I just stopped making rice.

Then someone told me about rice cookers.

I was intrigued. It knows when to shut itself off and go to warm mode. No more ADHD time blindness making me soak pots of rice in water until I can unstick from the bottom.

So I bought a rice cooker and then didn't make rice because I was concerned I'd mess up this, too.

But on Monday? I took the plunge. I read the instructions. I watched a couple of videos about the rice cooker. I boldly proceeded to make rice!

Well, maybe the right phrase is I timidly proceeded to make rice.

I was confused at first. Did I leave the rice in the basket or did I put it in the bottom pot thing. (FYI, it's the bottom pot thing.) Once I figured out where to put the rice, it was easy. Press on, press whole grain because it's brown rice, and let the cooker do its thing.

An hour later, I had perfect rice.

Although I think I maybe should have added salt to the water? Not that it matters. I made it to go with a stew, so it will have stuff on top of it.

The only thing I didn't like about the rice cooker was that it didn't beep to tell it me was done. It had been warming for 15 minutes before I went to check on it. Since the instructions said to let it sit for another 10 to 15 minutes if you prefer softer rice, I would have let it wait anyway, but it would have been nice to know when the 15 minutes began.

Other than that, I'm excited! I can make rice now whenever I want without worrying about adhering it to the pan. Rice cooker for the win!