BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, May 09, 2017

Take It Back and Get the More Expensive One

One of my favorite movie lines is from Valley Girl, which despite the title and the way they speak is a super cute film. Our teenage heroine is talking to her dad and tells him she has a problem. It's a boy problem, but he assumes it's a shopping issue and what he says to her is pure gold. "Take it back and get the more expensive one. You know the more expensive ones always fit better."

I've had the truth of this demonstrated to me repeatedly in life. Not so much on clothes like on other things. Like when the iPod first came out, I wanted one, but I didn't want to spend that much money. I decided to buy a different brand which was much cheaper. It was also much bigger and clunkier and a pain to deal with. After a couple of years, I did buy an iPod and I loved it. It was light years better than the cheap MP3 player I'd bought. Ultimately, I guess it wasn't that cheap because I only used it a couple of years before buying the original and better player.

Or the time I wanted an iPad and didn't want to spend that much money. I bought an android tablet which was smaller, heavy, slow, and clunky. I bought an iPad later and now I'm not even sure where the other tablet is.

There are other examples I could mention, and you'd think I'd learn my lesson, but apparently not. My Fitbit Zip case was wearing out and needed to be replaced. I looked at an actual Fitbit case, but there was a knockoff for half the price with excellent reviews. Despite how well the Fitbit case was working for me, despite knowing I usually end up sorry when I buy the cheaper one, I bought the knockoff.

It started coming apart within months of my getting it. I went back and bought the original Fitbit case and I'm much happier now. I wish I would figure this out instead of buying things twice.