BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Thursday, November 08, 2018

Off the Charts

I am a very new knitter. I don't know how long I get to say that because it's been a year and a half, but because of having such a limited time to knit, I haven't completed that many projects yet. I feel like a novice.

One skill I have yet to master is reading a chart inside a pattern. I'm totally written instructions all the way.

And then I hit section 11 of a 12 part pattern.

I thought it would be cables that tripped me up because I'd never knitted those before, but that wasn't what did it. It was the written instructions for the wrong side rows. It basically said to knit the knitted stitches as it faced you and purl the purls.

If the yarn were thicker, maybe this wouldn't have been such a challenge, but the yarn is fine fingering weight. Fiber people know this is thin. And I had a hard time seeing which stitch was which. And I messed up pretty much every wrong side row. Finally, at row 6, I was like this is going to look horrible if I don't get it right. I ripped back all my knitting to the beginning of section 11 and then I started looking at tutorials on how to read charts.






The video tutorial helped a little bit, but I didn't grasp it until I found some excellent written instructions. When I started the section over again, I was able to nail the wrong side rows by reading the chart! Go me!

But I'm struggling to read the right side rows with the repeats. What I'm doing now is knitting the right side from the written instructions and the wrong side from the charts. Next up: Learn to read the right side of a chart with a repeat section.