BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, August 20, 2019

Adventures with Credit Cards

It was almost two years ago when I moved, and in the midst of the chaos, my credit card number was stolen and used fraudulently. It was a PITA to deal with because I didn't have a phone or internet yet. You can read about that fiasco on my post from back then called No Cable for You.

After the mess during my move, I setup alerts. Now whenever a charge comes through on my credit card, I get a message on my phone. For nearly two years, it was just an irritation. Then it happened. A charge I didn't make.

I was writing when my phone alerted me to a message. I glanced at it and then did a double take. I didn't charge $.64 at some business in Kentucky.

To be certain, I checked my spreadsheet where I keep track of every charge I make. Nothing. Then I checked all my PayPal receipts just in case I'd forgotten about a knitting pattern or something like that. Still nothing. Next, I started searching for this business. The name was common, though, and nothing was listed that corresponded to that town in Kentucky. I disputed the charge.

And my credit card company said I had to wait until it moved out of pending.

Okay. So I setup an alert to let me know when that happened and worried about that charge. I was right to worry. The next day while I was at work, my text beeped again. Did I charge $.92 to Google Services. In the United Kingdom. Hell, no!

This led to a phone call with the fraud department. It turned out that in addition to the two tiny charges, someone had tried to use the card at Game Stop. Seriously.

My credit card company declined those other two charges--maybe because I'd already raised an alarm by trying to dispute a charge. Or maybe because the charges didn't fit my usual usage pattern. I didn't think to ask when I was talking with them.

This led to my card being cancelled and a new one issued. Then I had to go in to all the websites and update my number. That is where the big hurt comes in--trying to remember where I was being auto-billed. I made a list of the places where I updated and I should probably squirrel this away in case it happens again.

I tried to figure out how it happened and the only thing I can come up with based on the timing is the gas station. The day before--Saturday--I used that card to fill up. I always give the card reader a yank to make sure it's legit, but maybe the skimmer was attached in a way that made it more secure than I thought it would be. Or maybe they've come up with some new way to grab credit card numbers.

Either way, this time the activity was caught early and only one charge went through before everything else was declined. I guess this is a win, but man I wish thieves would go away.