BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, October 08, 2019

Apps I Used to Love

Once upon a time, there were some apps I used that I really, really loved. I raved about them to friends and coworkers. I might have even blogged about them. Only a funny thing happened as I kept using them. I grew to resent them mightily.

One of the apps reminded me to stand up on a regular basis. This is definitely something I need at my day job because I get involved in what I'm doing and forget about everything else. But after a while, that incessant pinging made me grit my teeth. I kept using it, though, because I needed that reminder. I became more resentful with every ping.

And then one day I couldn't take it any longer. I deleted the app. I don't miss it.

And when I got my new Fitbit, it had a 250 step an hour challenge. With a buzz on my wrist when there was 10 minutes left in the hour and I hadn't gotten my steps in. I made it about two weeks with this before I turned that off. I'm sure I wouldn't have become annoyed so quickly if it weren't for my phone app.

Then there was the app that would wake me up when I was sleeping lightly, so it would be easier to get up. Um, yeah, that meant it might go off up to half an hour before I needed to get up. It made me angry every time it stole sleep from me. I still have this app on my phone, but I never, ever use it.

There are other apps that have come and gone, but I simply lost interest in them. The two apps I mentioned in this post? I grew to hate them. Good riddance to annoying apps!