BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, January 14, 2020

Say What?

***I received no compensation for this post***

I'm in a planner group run by the company who makes my planner. I pop in and out, but it's too much of the same questions and I don't spend much time there. And then I saw a post that stopped me cold. A woman said that she wanted to sell her unused planner because she's not going to school after all.

Other women in the group (it's almost all women) shared all the other ways she could use the planner to organize her life even without classes and homework assignments. The original poster wouldn't even consider any of these options. She simply didn't need a planner for any other corner of her life.

This shocked me. How can someone function without some sort of planner? I spent a lot of time hopping around from planning system to planning system until I found the one that works best for me, but to use nothing at all??? I am still flabbergasted by this.

This is where I keep track of my entire life. Not only appointments, but what I need to do that day, what I did as a workout at the gym that day, what I had for dinner. It reminds me to charge my Fitbit, to put out the trash, to share my blog posts to Twitter and Facebook. My planner has the daily weather: High and low temperatures and whether it was sunny, cloudy, rainy, etc. (At least I did this in 2019 because I want to knit a temperature shawl and I need this information to know which colors to use for which day of the year.) I will print out pictures from my phone on rare occasion and paste them into the book.

It's not only a planner, it's also a memory keepsake. (I've blogged about my huge regret at throwing away my calendars from when I was younger.)

I know, different strokes for different folks, but still...no planner at all? I mean not even using iCalendar or Google Calendar? The electronic calendars have never worked for me no matter how much I wished they would, but at least people using them have something. This woman is using nothing. Nothing! How is this humanly possible?

The thing is that it isn't as if I forget what I need to do. So much of it is rote. Seriously, the trash has gone out on the same day since I moved into my subdivision and I'm not going to forget to go to the gym. I moan and groan about it every day. :-) But it's a safety net. I don't have to worry about forgetting something if it's written down and I can refer to it. Anything that lowers my anxiety level is a huge plus.

I am dedicated to my planner, and if I wasn't using the daily planner I have now, I'd still be using something. I like my safety net.