BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Thursday, January 16, 2020

Throwback Thursday: In Twilight's Shadow

In Twilight's Shadow is book 2 of my Light Warriors series. It was released in 2008 and I wrote it in 2007. This is the only deadline I needed to ask for an extension on and I was still late. While writing this book I was 1) severely burnt out from the deadlines I'd had on my previous four books and 2) the original plot wasn't working and I was too panicked about the deadline to cut everything and start over. Which I finally had to do anyway.

The heroine in Twilight's Shadow is Maia Frasier, the sister of the heroine in book one of the Light Warriors. Maia gave up her powers years earlier (the why is revealed in Midnight Hour) and she's stayed near her sister ever since. And has felt excluded because Maia is no longer considered one of the Gineal people.

Her hero is Creed Blackwood, the biggest badass troubleshooter the Gineal have. Creed...well, what can I say about Creed? He was an ass and did nothing to soften that. I liked him anyway, but it took me a while to warm up to him. It's a good thing he's so pretty. ;-)

This is the book where the prophecy/mythology of Twilight Time starts to be revealed. It's long forgotten by most of the Gineal people, but Creed has always had an interest in history. He knows that Ryne (heroine in Midnight Hour) is the strongest Gineal troubleshooter ever tested and that signals the onset of the prophecy. I can't remember how much of this is spelled out in the book itself, although I know some of it is. Again, I haven't reread this book in a long, long time. Because I had to fight for every word on this story, it doesn't make me feel all happy inside to revisit it. :-)

Twilight's Shadow is also the book where we learn about the existence of the god-demons. Maia was romantically involved with one years earlier, although she didn't know what he was at the time. The ancient Egyptians called him Set (or Seth). Seth makes another appearance later in the series.

The opening of the book where Creed is gored wasn't in the manuscript I turned in to my editor. She asked me to add an action scene since Midnight Hour opened with action.

There's also a scene where I mention the name of the heroine in the next book, although in this book it's used to explain some of why Creed can be such a jerk.