BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Thursday, July 16, 2020

Knitting Patterns and Organization

Somehow I've ended up with a ton of knitting patterns. A lot of them were free from the designers, but some I've purchased. The problem is organizing them all.

Do I leave them at Ravelry.com, where I purchased the vast majority of them? Do I download them to my computer? There are thousands of them. Gah! Or do I only download the ones I've purchased and the free ones that I think I'd like to knit?

If I do download them, do I go with broad categories like Sweater or Scarf? Or do I narrow them down like Sweater-Cardigan, Sweater-VeeNeck, Sweater-CrewNeck?

It's another organizational challenge for me and I already have so many of them!

What about the patterns I've already knit? Do I create a separate folder for them so I know they're finished? I like to work on new things all the time, so the odds of making a pattern twice are slim and this would get them out of the way if I'm scanning a folder for a new project.

Which would lead to the problem of finding them all because so many don't have intuitive names and the big yarn companies give them numbers instead of names.

I asked in an online knitting group that I'm part of what they do and there were good arguments for downloading and good reasons for not downloading and it was split about 50-50 which didn't help me make any decisions on what I should do. Right now I'm a mixed bag and don't have much of a system which doesn't help me figure things out.

Why was I born with this obsessive need to be organized and yet have so much difficulty figuring out a system that works?