BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, July 14, 2020

My Favorite Laptop

In 2016, I abandoned my favorite laptop because the keyboard was shot. Keys missing, keys not working when you tapped them, and the laptop was six years old. I replaced it. Unfortunately, Sony had sold off their Vaio brand and I had to buy a different manufacturer.

Recently, though, I got to thinking. The keyboard was a problem when I was using the laptop by itself. I have this nifty setup now where I hook my laptop into a docking station, have a real ergonomic keyboard and two large monitors. I could use this laptop again! All I need to do is a few upgrades and software updates.

So I plugged it in, turned it on, and started working on getting it usable. Yeah.

It's slow. I didn't expect that big a degradation because I always buy the very top of the line so that I can use it for years and years before it needs to be replaced. I didn't remember it being slow when I replaced it.

It's loud. The fan is working overtime to keep up with the heat. I'd forgotten that, but as it hummed and blew, it immediately came back to me. I hated all that noise.

On the plus side, I have some pretty cool software on there that I wasn't able to transfer to the new laptop. I'd purchased them when it was a set cost for a license. Now that software has gone to monthly fees and I'm not willing to pay that much a year when I already bought a license. Changing midstream without grandfathering former users in stinks. Although, at least one of the programs is pretty much unusable now because it's too far out of date.

I also found some files on there that I'd never transferred over. Like graphics on how to use Lie-Lay, Affect-Effect, and where the em dash goes in dialogue. Most of my stuff had moved over because I backup to the cloud and I just downloaded it to the new computer, but I've mentioned my propensity to save to the desktop before.

Anyway, my favorite laptop really isn't my favorite any longer. It's too frustrating now to wait when I have a newer, faster, and (most importantly) quieter laptop, but it's nice to have it available in case of an emergency. I'm kind of sad, though, that it wasn't everything I thought it was.