BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, July 07, 2020

The Button Jar

I woke up this morning thinking about my mom's button jar and wishing I had it. Technically, it was multiple jars. My mom had sorted the buttons by color into baby food jars and had kept them in her closet. I remember when she'd be working on a project and we'd go look for buttons. For some reason, this was an exciting moment.

It wasn't that my mom sewed a lot. She didn't. But she still had this collection of buttons she could go to whenever she needed one. When we cleaned out my parents' house after she died, I didn't find her buttons and I never collected them on my own

In fact, until recently, all I had was her sewing machine and that hadn't been out of the box. When I decided to try and sew face masks, I had to buy material and elastic. I had nothing.

It seems wrong not to have a button jar. Even if it's just to replace a missing button, it would be helpful. I did head to eBay and searched for buttons. It seems as if this is kind of a business for people when what I really wanted to do was buy someone else's button jar.

Oh, I'll probably end up buying one of these professional button seller's collection of odd lots because I really do want my own collection of buttons, but it's just not the same.