BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, October 06, 2020

I Cheated on the Pilot G2 and Found a New Love

Meet my new love. It's a Pentel EnerGel Needle Tip in 0.7mm. I have this thing about pens and even when I think I've found my perfect writing tool, I keep trying new ones. Yes, I was unfaithful to my Pilot G2. (Although we did have an agreement. I was always allowed to have a side relationship with the Pilot Frixion, which is erasable ink.)

I'd strayed from the G2 a number of times, but I always ended up coming back, repentant that I'd been untrue to the best out there. Then I noticed the EngerGel. I had to try it.

At first, I was like hmm, I don't think I like this. But I had a box of a dozen, so I needed to use them. After a number of months back with the G2, I dug them out and used them for side writing. Nothing long, nothing major. Just quick things. And after doing this for a while, I realized I did like the EnerGel. I started using it more and more.

And then I noticed I wasn't using my G2s any longer. It was always the EnerGel I was reaching for. I had a new love.

The only thing I don't like about the EnerGel is how fragile the plastic barrels are. I have two that broke while I was opening them to check on ink levels. Instead of driving me back to the G2, I did some searching and discovered they sell a metal barrel. I'm going to invest in that and get rid of the plastic ones as they run out or break.

As you see, I prefer purple as my ink color of choice. With the G2, the purple ink would fade on the paper and become too faint. I was forced to use blue ink because that didn't happen with that color. The EnerGel's purple stays dark and legible.

I did try the EnerGel in pink and I don't love that ink. It feels scratchier than the purple and doesn't look as smooth on the paper. I do not recommend the pink. I also haven't tried any other color except the purple and can't speak to the blue, black, red, etc inks. I did discover that they sell a variety pack with 12 different colors (I think) and I'm going to buy one of those to try out at some point, but for now, I'm going to enjoy my purple EnerGel and call it good.