BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, October 13, 2020

Review: Scoob

***I received no compensation for this review.***
***WARNING: There might be spoilers ahead!***

Movie review time! Today's film is Scoob. It's an animated Scooby Doo movie.

I love Scooby Doo and have since I was a small child, so when I saw that there was a new version called Scoob, I was all in. I had no idea what it was about, although with Scooby Doo I was pretty confident there would be a mystery and a bad guy to unmask.

That's kind of what we got here, although not entirely. The movie opens with the origin story of how Scooby and Shaggy became best friends. It was a cute meet story and seemed in keeping with their personalities.

Then we flash forward to when the Mystery Inc. gang are at the ages we're used to seeing them at. They've decided to branch out and get investment funding. Their investor thinks Fred, Daphne, and Velma are a good risk, but that Shaggy and Scooby are not. They go off dejected...and face a robotic threat alone. Until they're beamed up by the Blue Falcon and Dyno Mutt.

I'm going to leave off with the plot summary here.

I really loved this movie! I consider it among the best Scooby Doo movies made and recommend it. I had a lot of fun watching it!

The story has a lot to do with friendship and what it's value is to us as humans, which I thought was a cool message. We see the friendship between Shaggy and Scooby form, and later, get tested. We see the same thing happen with the Shaggy/Scooby pairing and the Velma/Daphne/Fred trio becoming friends and having their friendship tested.

But the underlying message isn't the movie. It has the usual high jinks you'd expect from Scooby Doo and Mystery Inc. It has the laughs and the action. It has a bad guy who needs to be unmasked. And it's definitely an enjoyable ride.

I'm giving this movie two thumbs up with a highly recommend tag. Keeping in mind, of course, that I was predisposed to like this movie from the start.

***Minor Spoiler. Stop here if you don't want the surprise ruined.***

Blue Falcon is actually the Blue Falcon's son who is searching for his own courage, although Dyno Mutt is the original Dyno Mutt. But this isn't the only cartoon character who makes an appearance. We also et to see Captain Caveman! I loved Captain Caveman when I was a kid! I'd love to see more Scooby Doo mashups with other cartoons like this. It was so much fun! Now we need Jabber Jaw.