BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, January 12, 2021

No Reminders Needed

One of the things making me crazy right now are all the reminders I get. Reminders for doctors appointments, dentist appointments, webinars, etc. They come via email, text message, phone call, postcard, and on and on and on.

Seriously, 99.9% of the time I don't need any reminder. This is the joy of my paper planner. I get an appointment scheduled, I write it in my planner--both on the monthly overview and on the day itself--and I'm good to go.

My dentist's office is the worst! There are postcards, text messages, AND phone calls. Multiple phone calls. Like one reminder isn't sufficient? Seriously? Either this is an indication of how severely disorganized other people are or the dentist is overzealous.

My doctor's network has an app and they send out a message in this one week before the appointment. Once you go in to look at appointments, you can turn off receiving a reminder phone call. I always do this. Do not need it. Do not want it. It's in the planner.

The only glitch in the system is keeping track of my dad's appointments. He doesn't always let me know when they are and I hate surprises. I don't even like good surprises. At Christmas, I would cheat and search for the presents, trying to figure out what I was getting. Then there was the time I tried to take a last minute trip and my anxiety kicked into high gear. I need plans. I need time to research. Do not surprise me. So every now and then, I will bring my planner to the kitchen and sit down with him and compare his calendar with mine.

Reminders do not help me with my dad's appointments because they won't talk to me because of the rules about patient privacy. Besides, I want them in my planner so I know what's coming weeks before the reminders start pinging in.

Spur of the moment people are probably cringing, but I need this.