BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Thursday, August 12, 2021

Characters and Personalities

I mentioned on Tuesday that I didn't have Cat's personality until I wrote a chapter in her Point of View (POV) and now, as I start Kyle's book, I'm in the same boat with his heroine.

Remember, he was a cipher to me, too, until I wrote him in the car with Griff and Cat. I blogged a little about it last spring.

It isn't always this way. Sometimes I know their personalities before I write a word. Like Mika from Through a Crimson Veil. Conor, too, for that matter. And I knew she was going to drive him crazy because their attitudes toward life and toward being half demon were so different.

I knew Ryne from In the Midnight Hour was tough, kick ass, no quarter given. And I knew pretty early that Deke, her hero, was a major league smart ass. Because the picture I found that most closely matched him had a man with the biggest, smart-ass smirk on his face. I was like, okay, here we go. Someone who is overly serious and focused is going to lose her mind with this guy.

I also knew Finn and Zo's personalities from Wicked Intention very well, but I'd written three chapters in their book ten years before I actually rewrote their book. (Yes, most of the three chapters are in the new version, but in different sequences.) And seriously? These two were in my head a lot over the past ten years. I knew them better than any characters I'd ever written, and trust me, I know all of my characters inside and out before a book is finished.

So it's been a little weird to not have Kyle's personality until I wrote him. To not have Cat's until I wrote her. I still haven't written Kyle's heroine, so while I have some hints about her personality, she's still mostly an enigma to me. One I'm pretty eager to figure out, so hopefully I can wrap up the millions of things that need to be done for the release of Wicked Salvation and get to the next book in the series.