BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, September 14, 2021

Walking Iceland

Guess who discovered virtual races this year?

One of my favorites is a company that allows you to set your own time goal to complete a medal. Right now, I'm walking around Iceland and I'm nearly at the 50% mark.

Iceland's route is 1332.5 kilometers. At 20%, 40%, 60% and 80%, a tree gets planted. And at various points along the route, I get a digital postcard with some facts and information about a city or location that I've just walked through.

If you can see the little human figure at the lower left of the blue portion of my phone's screen capture, that's where I press for Google Street View. It allows me to look around the area.

This is the second medal I'm working on from this company. The first one was the Ring of Kerry virtual challenge. I walked 200 kilometers in 45 days. It was fun and it seemed a little short. I wanted more! So that's why I signed up for Iceland. Only I learned Iceland is too long. I need something between the Ring of Kerry and Iceland. I have one more medal I'm registered for and I do believe that one will be more manageable. But I don't remember for sure. :-/

I have a couple of 5K challenge medals to work on after my walking tours. One has a medal from Joshua Tree Park and another is aliens and the third is Umbrella Academy.

And lately in my Facebook feed, I've been seeing ads for a planetary challenge from another company that I totally want to sign up for. But I need to finish Iceland. Just 676.2 kilometers to go. :-/