BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, November 16, 2021

Temporary Insanity

I needed pinking shears. A good pair, not some cheap pair.

I know my mom had a nice pair, one that probably needed to be sharpened, but certainly were high quality and worth spending the money to get honed, so I asked my dad, "Did we keep Mom's pinking shears?"

The answer was about what I expected. No and we'd gotten rid of all my mom's sewing stuff because at the time she died, I was certain that I would never sew and wouldn't need any of her things. I wish I had kept all of it now.

I'm kind of in a weird place, you know? Like I need things--like pinking shears--to do some of the sewing I want to try to do, but since I'm not sure this is going to stick, I hate to buy anything. And then if the hobby does stick, I want to have purchased quality items so that I don't have to re-buy them later to get decent equipment. But what if it doesn't stick? What if this is just temporary insanity?

That's why it would be nice to have my mom's sewing equipment.

I bought flannel/fleece with the plan of using it to line the inside of face masks because I'd read that it was more effective to have a mix of cotton and flannel. But I had to order a minimum of two yards. I never did make addition face masks after the first round, and I was thinking the fleece/flannel would work for a long sleeve top for sleeping.

But I read you're supposed to pre-wash your fabric and it started to fray immediately. I read that this material will do that, so it wasn't a surprise. But I need those dang pinking shears. Sigh.

My mom is probably looking down and saying, I told you not to get rid of all those things. :-)