BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, December 14, 2021

Audio, Please

You should listen to this podcast episode, my friend said while were messaging.

It sounded cool, but when I went to my phone app to get it, I discovered that this particular podcast didn't turn up in my search. Hmmm, I thought, that's strange.

I followed the link my friend sent and the website had a video. There were all kinds of links on the page, but I couldn't spot an audio feed. Surely, there must be one because audio is much more convenient than video.

But no matter how hard I looked, I didn't spot one.

I messaged my friend again and she says, oh, no, it is video only. She listens to the video while she's doing other things.

This is a real problem for me because most of my podcast time is while I'm working at my day job or while I'm driving in my car. Our public Wi-Fi at work sucks--and that's putting it mildly. I tried anyway. And like I expected, it was a choppy, annoying mess. Listening in the car is completely out of the question because I have a cheap plan without much data because I'm almost always connected to some Wi-Fi network.

Making everything extra fun is the bonus feature that YouTube shuts the video down--picture and sound--when I lock my screen. If I wanted to be able to shut it off and just listen, I would have to subscribe to their premium service.

I needed a work around, so I started doing some online searching. I found a website that will convert video to audio and allow you to download it. Bingo!

This worked perfectly. I downloaded the MP3 file to Dropbox and then imported it to my podcast app. But...

What a PITA.

I don't know why the content creator didn't throw together an audio only feed, but she didn't and video is not convenient for me. I can't be the only person who feels this way. And while I would love to listen to more of this video podcast, I don't have the time to convert every episode to audio, so I'm out unless a particular week catches my interest.

It's really unfortunate because it's good information.