BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Thursday, December 09, 2021

Review: The 12 Dates of Christmas

I seem to watch more television and movies around the holidays. Or maybe it just feels that way? I don't know, but I've been finding some shows/films that I've enjoyed.

My latest watch was The 12 Dates of Christmas available for free streaming for Amazon Prime members on their service. I don't know if it's available on the other streamers or not.

So it was late, but not late enough to go to bed last weekend and so I flipped through Netflix, hoping to stumble across another awesome find like the TV show I blogged about last week. Nothing grabbed my attention, so I switched to Amazon and started scrolling the "Free to Me" section. 12 Dates caught my eye.

First, let me mention that a little searching revealed that there are two projects titled The 12 Dates of Christmas. One of them is a TV series. I did NOT watch this. I watched the movie from 2011 starring Amy Smart as Kate Stanton and Mark-Paul Gosselaar as Miles Dufine.

Second, of course, I received no compensation of any kind. This is just me talking about a movie I liked.

So Kate is in advertising and on Christmas Eve she's been setup on a blind date, but wants to get her ex-boyfriend back even though they've been broken up for quite some time. The blind date doesn't go well because she's intent on cutting out and finding the ex. She does, only to discover he's about to propose to his new girlfriend.

Kate's in bed at midnight when the clock rewinds and she wakes up again on Christmas Eve. In the same department store she'd been in the day before. Of course, she's confused and it takes her some time to believe what's going on. Then it happens again.

I'll stop here because I don't want to give out any spoilers. This movie is basically Groundhog Day, but for Christmas. And as you might have guessed from the title, Kate lives through Christmas Eve 12 times.

This movie was fun! If it wasn't a holiday movie, it probably wouldn't work as well because part of it's charm is the time of year. It's got romance. It has a heroine who changes and grows through these 12 days and I love when that happens. Are some of the changes happening a little fast? Probably, but I didn't care. I was hooked. And it has likeable characters. There is no bad guy here, just people trying to do their best.

Recommended for the holidays.