BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, February 15, 2022

Serendipity

I use OneNote along with an Excel spreadsheet to keep track of my series. If you'll recall, I've blogged repeatedly about trying new ways to stay on top of my books, but I keep coming back to the same two. Maybe these are my tools? I reserve the right, though, to try the next best thing when I find it.

But for all that I use OneNote, there is a lot I don't know. I'm aware of this because I've accidentally created things like Subgroups without knowing how I did it, which means I can't do it again.

This is where serendipity comes in.

I have a headset with a microphone plugged into my docking station. I was working from home and in a Teams meeting when everything froze on my screen. I couldn't move the cursor or get the keyboard to work. I had to turn the docking station off and back on again to get things to work again, and when I did, my headphones were squealing.

Not cool. I made it through the meeting, but only because I realized the left ear wasn't as bad as the right one. I would have done some troubleshooting on my work computer, but there's only one USB port and my docking station is plugged in there.

After work, I plugged the headset directly into my laptop, but I needed something with sound. I headed to YouTube and found a video made by someone who's an expert in Microsoft products. I think it was recommended because of all the Excel searches I did as I tried to figure out a formula that I'd never seen before.

So I played her video and no squeal on my headphones. They weren't the problem. I closed YouTube and started to work on other things when I had a thought. What if it's the USB plug on my docking station that's causing the squeal?

I unplugged from my laptop, plugged back in to the docking station, and headed back to YouTube. They recommended another video from the same woman titled: How to Use OneNote Effectively.

She talked about the subgroups that I'd accidentally created. Now I can purposely create them. She talked about subpages and I was like, whoa! That might come in handy. So I can do that now, too. And in the sidebar, YouTube suggested other OneNote videos. I watched a couple more and realized there's a heck of a lot I could be doing that would help me stay organized.

I'm excited to try some of these new skills out.