BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Thursday, February 17, 2022

Social Media ARGH!

Instagram has been showing me reels and images from pages/people that I'm not following. I actually don't mind, which surprises me. Maybe because a lot of it has ::SHOCK:: been things that I'm interested in. Usually, when sites do something like this, it's stuff I couldn't care less about.

So why the ARGH!? Let me explain.

Some of the reels have been sewing related. I'm all in for those since I've got so much to learn. So I'll watch the video a few times and scroll down to the words to see what they're making, what they're doing, why they're doing it. You know. An explanation.

And what do I see? A language that I don't speak.

That's right. Instagram is showing me reels from people who are posting in other languages other than mine. It's okay if I only need the pictures, but when I need more than that? I suppose I could copy and paste into an online translator, but I'm not going to take the time.

So far, I've seen reels for really cool sewing and knitting techniques. I've seen a woman wrapping gifts (this was before Christmas), and while I don't know how it ended up in my feed, I enjoyed watching her do this. There were people folding paper, cutting it, and creating cool snowflakes. And all if it in another language.

Another ARGH! is I'm getting a lot of artists in reels, too. The short video is enough here, but it's amazing to watch them just create beauty out of a blank page and some paint or ink. So why is this an ARGH? Because I'd love to be able to do that, too, and I can't. I used to periodically buy art supplies and try to draw, but it always ended up being discouraging. I never was good enough.

Although maybe this shouldn't fall into this category. I enjoy watching the real artists work and I stand in awe of their talents. I'm just kind of bummed that I got so little drawing ability.