BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, February 22, 2022

Virtual Races

As I'm writing this, I am closing in on the end of my virtual walk around Iceland. Thank God! It's been a long, long journey. 276 days worth of walking and using the elliptical and the weight machines and dumbbells, and...well, you get the picture.

I should finish when I input today's activity into the tracker.

This is my second Conqueror's Challenge. I really enjoyed the first one--a walk around Ireland--and I wanted something longer. So I went from 45 days to walk the Ring of Kerry to 276 days to circle Iceland. This one was a little bit too long. :-) I need quicker gratification than this.

Anyway, as I neared the finish, I tried to figure out which virtual race I was going to do next.

I'd been eyeing Pacer Adventure Virtual Challenge's Solar System series. The problem is that I want all the planets (and Pluto) and they expect you to do the entire race in one go. That's fine for the 3K and 5K planets, which gets me through Mars. Then the lengths jump to 10K (which is more than I want to do) and go up to half marathon distance for Neptune.

It's hugely annoying that they're insisting on one session per medal and not allowing multiples. What good is it to only have the Moon, Mercury, Venus, Earth, and Mars? I want the other planets, too, damn it! I'm contemplating buying the medals and just not telling them I did the longer ones in multiple sessions.

But I did find one solar system medal that doesn't require one session--The Sun. It's 62 miles and I'll have two months to complete it. Since I did Ireland's Ring of Kerry in 45 days and that was 124ish miles, I should be okay.

It's a damn shame about Pacer Adventure Challenges wanting it done in one day because they had a lot of cool medals I would have been interested in, but aside from the Solar System Challenges, I'm going to stick with Conqueror because I like having time to complete anything longer than a 5K. Bummer, though. 

After the Sun, I'm going to do Conqueror's Cote d'Azur Challenge. That's 100 miles. I gave myself three months, but I'm hoping to be done much more quickly than that.

ETA: I hate the Pacer app. As far as I can tell, it's applied nothing I've entered against the Sun challenge.