BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, March 29, 2022

Me and TV

The other day, I remembered this television show I used to love. My Own Worst Enemy starring Christian Slater.

In this show, Slater plays a man whose brain has been segmented and part of him is a deadly spy and the other part of him is a devoted family man. The only problem? These two personalities have learned the other exists.

The show was on in 2008 and only made it 9 episodes before it was cancelled. This is one of the reasons why I watch very little TV. Every time I fall in love with a show, it gets cancelled. No exaggeration. This is the same year that Life on Mars debuted--and was cancelled after one season. At least this network allowed the show one full season and we were able to get closure, unlike with My Own Worst Enemy which was just cancelled.

I thought it would get better with Netflix. After all, they didn't cancel anything, right?

Yeah, not so much. I started watching this TV show called Limitless and OMG, it's the first show I ever binged. As I neared the end of season one, I began to Google to find out when I could watch season two only to learn there wouldn't be a season two.

And even when a show is renewed, things don't go smoothly. I adore The Umbrella Academy, but instead of immediately filming a second season, Netflix decided to wait and see how season one did. And they did the same thing with season three, which was then delayed farther by the pandemic.

Why can't I ever fall in love with a show that I can just binge without having to wait forever for the next season? I guess it's an improvement over falling for shows that get cancelled, but still...

I guess the solution is to watch a series that is already deep into seasons except when I look at a show and see that it had 7 seasons, I can't get myself to commit to it. It feels too overwhelming to come into it that late.

So I kind of just don't watch much television. It's much better than being disappointed over and over.