BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Thursday, March 31, 2022

Phone Annoyances

My work phone is an iPhone 8. Yes, I said 8. It's actually a miracle I still have it because when the pandemic hit, the company was talking about taking away all our mobile devices. That's when I went out and bought my own iPhone. The iPhone 11.

My iPhone 11 is awesome! The only issue is battery life, but it's more than two years old, so I read that's to be expected.

The iPhone 8? That's another story.

Every time I update it, the cellular update fails. Then I have to follow a bunch of instructions that involve hooking it up to the computer, using iTunes, and forcing an update. The last time I did this, it didn't work and it involved three hours of Googling and messing around on my MacBook Pro. The MacBook is not my primary computer. I have it for some writing-related programs that don't run on the PC.

When the latest update came out, I put off updating, but when I called our IT help desk recently, they had an option for company mobile phones. I thought, okay, I'll update while I'm at work and if it fails, I'll call the help desk.

I should have known better.

The update failed. I called the help desk. They told me to call Apple. Really?

So I brought the phone home and I now have it hooked up to my PC laptop and forced the update via iTunes. Right now, I'm hoping that I don't have to fire up the MacBook and try to find the instructions I used last time.