BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, March 22, 2022

What Happens In Sewing Club

I kind of accidentally joined a sewing club.

You're probably wondering how this happened, right? So I follow the designer and she posted about it and the year-long subscription was on sale. Also, the patterns for sewing club are not supposed to ever be for individual sale, and the first pattern was so cute!

I talked myself out of it. First, I don't have time to sew. Second, the lessons on fitting will be over my head because it's all I can do to sew the pattern as is. Third, the patterns are going to be above my skill level and I won't be able to make them. Four, even if I could find the time (which I can't), I don't have the money to buy everything I'd need for each pattern. I'm not only talking fabric and notions. I literally don't have all the equipment. I keep adding things as the projects go along, but as an example, I don't have pinking shears. I don't have a good iron, just a cheap, horrible one. And so on.

I was happy with my decision--until the designer did an Instagram live and talked about sewing club and how the patterns are for confident beginners.

I wouldn't say I'm a confident beginner, but I am relatively fearless. This is how I learned to knit--by tackling patterns/stitches that were beyond my skill level. And I mean, it's only fabric, right? If I mess it up, no one is injured (except maybe my poor dining room table).

Okay, so I joined the sewing club and I downloaded the pattern, but it is over my head at this point and I'm absolutely not buying fabric.

You know what happened, right? I bought fabric.

I still have no plans to make the pattern. The fabric was cute, it wasn't too expensive, and it was almost sold out, which is why I bought it now rather than waiting, but I'm reading posts on the bulletin board for sewing club and I know I'm in over my head. So I'll wait, and when I have time, work on something simpler to improve my skills. After that, I will tackle this jacket.

In the meantime, I'm going to soak up knowledge from sewers who actually know what they're doing.