BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, April 12, 2022

T-Shirts, Sewing, Pajamas and All That Jazz

One of the reasons why I wanted to learn to sew was T-shirts. I'm extremely fussy about the fabric and so much of what I find now is either thin, stiff, or both. True, I'm judging them against my old, soft, worn-a-thousand-times T-shirts, but still.

And it's not only T-shirts to wear to the gym or in summer. It's long-sleeve T-shirts for spring/fall and for sleeping.

I have three sleeping T-shirts. One was retired because the holes in the sleeves were too large to risk wearing it any longer. A second one needs to be retired, but hasn't been yet. And the third is going to be fine for a while, but somehow got exposed to bleach or something that put a large discoloration on it, so wearable, but ugly.

I've been trying to buy replacements, but when I say I'm picky about my T-shirts, I'm not joking. I'm very picky. So I thought why not try something different? I tried a traditional pajama top. Hated it.

Next, I tried two different shirts that were labeled as "sleeping T-shirts" and um, hey? That's not T-shirt material. It feels more like a sweater. Both of them. But they're soft and warm, so okay. Problem? The neckline is too big and so it's too low in front and in back. Also, the sleeves are far too long for me. In the past, I would have stuck them in the closet and forgotten about them, but I thought there must be a way to fix this with sewing!

There were a number of different methods I found, but I decided to try the elastic cord threaded through the neckline. I ordered it and am waiting for it to arrive. After I get the neckline adjusted, then I'll do something with the sleeves. Either roll them up and tack them down or cut of a few inches and re-sew the wrists.

But I do have a pattern for a long-sleeve T-shirt, and in my failed attempt at a short sleeve Tee, I found a soft material that feels so good. After I finish this book, I'm going to take some time and try to sew my own. Of course, by then, it'll be too hot here for long sleeves and I'll be sleeping in my short sleeve pajama tops--which I have plenty of.