BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, May 31, 2022

Great Ocean Road

My latest medal is from the Great Ocean Road. This virtual challenge had street view all the way through the route, which is something I really enjoy. Every day, I'd drop into street view and look around at where I was.

The Great Ocean Road is in the southern part of Australia and I found the terrain beautiful there. It made me sorry that I didn't get to that area when I was in the country. Of course, we were racing to see what we did get to see, so it wasn't as if we had extra time to head there.

The other thing I kept thinking of as I looked at the pictures (which included many ocean views) was how some of the most aggressive great white sharks are in this part of Australia. It was part of 2021's Shark Week on the Discovery. It's such an odd thing to think of when the trail is completely on land (and virtual at that!), but sharks interest me. And scare me, too.

I've talked before about how much I enjoy these virtual races. They're incentive to keep my step count high every day so that I can progress faster along the course. And get my medal!

Conqueror doesn't send the medal until you complete the route, although other companies do send it out right away. One of the companies I tried, I'm glad I got the medal right away because their app was terrible! If I had to earn the medal before they would send it, I never would have gotten it despite the fact that I more than completed the challenge for them. Their app just didn't work. I started keeping track of it on the FitBit app. Yeah.

I still have not put up my medal holder that I shared in an earlier post. The problem is where to put it. The location that I was thinking of is right over a light switch and I started thinking about all the wires behind that wall. The second place I thought of has the same problem. Location one is in my office which would be great since I don't want it in a living area, but except for that one spot, my walls are filled with bookcases, my kanban board, windows, or a cork board.

So where do I put it? Not the garage, not the laundry room. The master bedroom? The master bath? The powder room so all my guests can see how many races and virtual races I've finished? I'm still working on it.