BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, June 07, 2022

Organization Podcasts Part 1

Quick Wicked Deception update. As I'm writing this, it's with my editor. When she returns notes to me--which should be shortly--I will go back to revising the book. :-)

In the meantime, I've been looking for new podcasts to listen to. My office is a disaster right now and I hate it, so I started the search with organizational podcasts. Surely, there would be some good advice available and I would have a plan when I tackle this mess.

First, I discovered that most of the organization podcasts were horrible. Lots of advertising and promotion of their organization workshops. One of these workshops was like $900! Gah!

Second, very little useful and usable advice on organization. There was one podcast I tried that had an episode about organizing the refrigerator. This is an area where we have a big time fail in my house. I can blog about my dad's idea of storing things in the fridge because it revolves around the things he uses and my stuff gets shoved behind six million other things. But I'll save that for a day when I need to blow off steam.

Anyway, so the episode on organizing the fridge sounded exactly like what I needed. She had a guest. Okay. Who she then proceeded to chit chat with forever. Not just some opening banter. I mean for a good ten minutes of the podcast. Finally, they get to the organization part. "I divide my refrigerator into sections."

I wait. What are the sections? How do you begin this project? What kind of storage containers do you use?

Did any of my questions get answered? No. All I heard was neither one of them use a lazy Susan because it takes up too much space and they store the condiments on the door. They never--not either one of them--mentioned how they decided to divide up the fridge. The one thing I'm listening to an organization podcast for--HOW TO ORGANIZE--and they don't give that information.

Sadly, this happened frequently with the various podcasts.

There was one podcast that had some promising subjects, but the audio quality was so poor, I literally couldn't understand the guests. I tried two different episodes before I gave up on this one. I don't need perfect audio, but I would like to be able to hear what people are saying.

I tried an online search next. It pulled up some more podcasts that my app hadn't shown me. More of the same.

There are a couple that I didn't delete from my app:

Hoardganize. This is for people who are hoarders and not merely normal overwhelm, but some of the processes she has works for anyone. For example, how to sort through your things and decide what goes and what stays. I will listen to more of her episodes.

A Slob Come Clean. This one was good enough that I went looking for her books. One was available in Prime Lending and the other was on sale, so I bought it. I started reading the one from Prime Lending and so far so good. But again, this doesn't really address my problem. She was talking about making sure she did the dishes every day. Um, I always did the dishes every day. In fact, I have them in the dishwasher in minutes after I'm finished with them. But overall, she has advice that sounds as if it will work for anyone, whether or not you're a slob.

If I find any others that are worth listening to, I'll try to remember to write another post. I'm not holding my breath.