BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Thursday, June 09, 2022

Photo Organization Podcast

One of the organization podcasts I listened to (and to be honest, at this point I have no idea which one it was) had a photographer on to discuss how to organize digital photographs. This is another area where I feel I'm struggling.

Her system. She puts her photos into folders by year, then month, then date. Like she'll remember the picture was from Christmas 2019 and she can go to the December 25, 2019 folder and find what she's looking for.

I already organized by year. I plan to go in and organize by month. I don't take enough photos to need to go down to the day level.

Curate, curate, curate. If you have 15 pictures of the same thing, pick the best and delete the rest. If something is blurry, someone has their eyes closed, whatever isn't good, get rid of it.

I am very bad at doing this. I will make an effort to do this when I go through the photos.

Backup to an external hard drive. No explanation needed here, right?

I have my photos on the cloud and backup to a different cloud backup service. I should use my external hard drive. I'll have to make a better effort at this.

Photobooks. She said she does photobooks regularly with her pictures. She had children, so I'm sure that's part of it. I can't remember how often she said she does this, but I'm thinking each individual can decide for themselves when to make their book.

I've never done a photobook. I'd probably have to put years' worth in a book, but it might be interesting to have them handy to view.

This podcast had a lot of helpful, actionable advice. I wish I could remember which one it was. I'll have to investigate and re-find it.