BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Thursday, August 25, 2022

Calendars, Spreadsheets and Frustration

Now that it's August, we're starting to accumulate 2023 appointments. My dad has doctors' appointments in July, in February, etc. And of course, I don't have my 2023 planner yet.

Yes, I've entered the appointments in my phone's calendar, but I do better with paper. My planner does have a little two page thing to write 2023 events in, and it's okay, but it's not as awesome as a monthly calendar.

I went looking in my templates folder. I was sure I remembered seeing a spreadsheet calendar that was perpetual as in I could enter the year and it would auto update.

And I found a free calendar I'd downloaded in 2015 and it does everything I want a spreadsheet calendar to do. As in I can enter information on the page and it will auto populate the year overview for me. Perfect! I'll just update the year.

Yeah, no. It doesn't update. It's 2015 or nothing.

Okay, I'll go back to the website I got it from and get one for 2023. No dice. The owner of the website is apparently updating to Shopify and has one more step to complete. And has had this step to complete for about a week now. I keep going back to check. Honestly, I would pay for the the version of this calendar because the other templates I've found don't have all the features that this one does.

I began searching online, hoping she was selling it somewhere else. I found an Etsy store. Yea! I clicked over there, but she'd closed her store. Sigh.

I know this move to Shopify has to be fairly recent because this is the same site I bought my budget spreadsheet from, the one I love and use, and the site was up and running then. I'm guessing this was earlier this summer, so it's a matter of months.

The picture above is from a spreadsheet calendar I was trying to create. It's okay, but the tutorial I followed went so fast and I got lost somewhere along the way. While I'd like to know how to do more in Excel, I also realize that if I can buy/find a template that does what I need it to do, I don't have to reinvent the wheel. But when you can't even buy the perfect template, it gets frustrating to not have the skills to do it myself.